Col. Andrew M. Purath is the Commander of the 11th Wing and Joint Base Andrews, Maryland. As the host wing for Joint Base Andrews, the 11th Wing provides security, personnel, contracting, finance, medical and infrastructure support for five wings, three headquarters, and over 80 tenant organizations, as well as 60,000 Airmen and families in the National Capital Region and around the world. Additionally, the 11th Wing supports contingency operations in our nation’s capital with immediate response rotary assets. It also provides security for the world’s highest visibility flight line and is responsible for ceremonial support with the United States Air Force Band, Honor Guard, and Air Force Arlington Chaplaincy.
Prior to assuming his current position, Colonel Purath was the Vice Commander of the 386th Air Expeditionary Wing, Southwest Asia, where he led 4,000 Airmen and coalition partners that provide air mobility, precision strike, personnel recovery, electronic attack, logistics operations, and intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance assets in support of operations throughout the region.
Colonel Purath is a graduate of the United States Air Force Weapons School and an Air Force Fellow. He has multiple deployments including training and mentoring the Iraqi Air Force in the C-130E and supporting the first use of the Joint Precision Airdrop System by Air Mobility Command in combat.
1998 Bachelor of Arts degree in history, Wright State University, Dayton, Ohio
2004 Master’s degree in international relations, Troy State University, Troy, Ala.
2004 C-130 Weapons Instructor Course, Little Rock Air Force Base, Ark.
2004 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2010 Air Force Fellow, U.S. House of Representatives, Washington D.C.
2012 Air War College, by correspondence
2017 Leadership in International Security Course, Geneva Centre for Security Policy, Geneva, Switzerland
1. November 1998 – May 1999, Student, Undergraduate Navigator Training, Naval Air Station Pensacola, Fla.
2. May 1999 – September 2000, Student, Joint Specialized Undergraduate Navigator Training, Randolph AFB, Texas
3. September 2000 – September 2003, C-130E Instructor & Training Officer, 36th Airlift Squadron, Yokota Air Base, Japan
4. September 2003 – January 2006, Flight Commander and Weapons and Tactics Instructor, 50th Airlift Squadron, Little Rock AFB, Ark.
5. January 2006 – September 2006, Flight Commander, 463rd Operations Support Squadron, Little Rock AFB, Ark.
6. September 2006 – May 2007, Chief of Aircrew Trng and Assistant Director of Ops, 374th Operations Support Squadron, Yokota AB, Japan
7. June 2007 – June 2009, Wing Executive Officer, 374th Airlift Wing, Yokota AB, Japan
8. July 2009 – December 2010, Air Force Fellow, U.S. House of Representatives, Washington, D.C.
9. December 2010 – June 2013, Chief, Legislative Affairs and Speechwriter for the Commander, Headquarters Air Mobility Command, Scott AFB, Ill.
10. July 2013 – July 2014, Commander, 8th Expeditionary Air Mobility Squadron, Al Udeid AB, Qatar
11. July 2014 – July 2016, Deputy Executive Assistant to the Commander, North American Aerospace Defense Command and United States Northern Command, Peterson AFB, Colo.
12. August 2016 – May 2017, Student, Leadership in International Security Course, Geneva Centre for Security Policy, Geneva, Switzerland
13. June 2017 – June 2018, Vice Commander, 386th Air Expeditionary Wing, Southwest Asia
14. July 2018 – present, Commander, 11th Wing, Joint Base Andrews, Md.
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
1. July 2014 – July 2016, Deputy Executive Assistant to the Commander, NORAD and USNORTHCOM, Peterson AFB, Colo.
Rating: master navigator
Flight hours: more than 2,600
Aircraft flown: C-130E/H, T-43, T-34, T-1
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit
Bronze Star Medal
Defense Meritorious Medal
Air Force Meritorious Service Medal
Aerial Achievement Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal
AF Outstanding Unit Award with Valor Device
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 2, 1998
First Lieutenant May 27, 2000
Captain May 27, 2002
Major Feb. 1, 2008
Lieutenant Colonel Nov. 1, 2012
Colonel May 1, 2017
(Current as of June 2018)