Colonel E. John “Dragon” Teichert is the Commander of the 11th Wing and Joint Base Andrews, Maryland. As the host wing for Joint Base Andrews, the 11th Wing provides security, personnel, contracting, finance, medical and infrastructure support for five wings, three headquarters, and over 80 tenant organizations, as well as 60,000 Airmen and families in the National Capital Region and around the world. Additionally, the 11th Wing supports contingency operations in our nation's capital with immediate response rotary assets. It also provides security for the world's highest visibility flight line and is responsible for ceremonial support with the United States Air Force Band, Honor Guard, and Air Force Arlington Chaplaincy.
Colonel Teichert, a native of Port Angeles, Washington, received his commission through the Air Force Reserve Officer Training Corps program at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in 1994. Throughout his career Colonel Teichert has held a variety of operational, instructional, test, and leadership positions. He has directed the F-22 Combined Test Force and commanded the 411th Flight Test Squadron, responsible for F-22 Raptor developmental test and evaluation. He has also commanded the 53d Test Management Group, providing operational test and evaluation of USAF fighters, bombers, combat search and rescue systems, remotely piloted aircraft, aircrew training devices, aircrew flight equipment, weapons, and space systems. Most recently, he served as the Deputy Director of the Department of Defense Special Access Program Central Office, responsible for the governance, acquisition, oversight, protection, and external liaison for all DoD programs protected under special access controls.
Colonel Teichert is a command pilot with more than 2,000 hours in 36 different aircraft types. His combat experience includes Operations Northern Watch, Deliberate Forge, and Allied Force.
1994 Bachelor of Science in Aeronautics and Astronautics, ROTC Distinguished Graduate, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MA
1995 Master of Science in Aerospace Engineering, Stanford University, CA
2001 Squadron Officer School, Distinguished Graduate, Maxwell AFB, AL
2003 USAF Test Pilot School, Distinguished Graduate, Edwards AFB, CA
2007 Air Command and Staff College, Distinguished Graduate, Maxwell AFB, AL
2008 School of Advanced Air and Space Studies, Maxwell AFB, AL
2012 Industrial College of the Armed Forces, Distinguished Graduate, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, DC
1. June 1994 – June 1995, Graduate Student, Stanford University, CA.
2. July 1995 – February 1997, Student, Euro-NATO Joint Jet Pilot Training, Sheppard AFB, TX.
3. February 1997 – September 1997, Student, F-15E Formal Training Unit, 334th Fighter Squadron, Seymour Johnson AFB, NC.
4. October 1997 – December 1999, F-15E Pilot and Assistant Chief of Weapons, 492d Fighter Squadron, RAF Lakenheath, UK
5. January 2000 – October 2000, F-15E Instructor Pilot and Functional Check Flight Program Manager, 48th Operations Group, RAF Lakenheath, UK.
6. October 2000 – December 2002, F-15E Instructor Pilot, Chief of Combat Planning, and Flight Commander, 333d Fighter Squadron, Seymour Johnson AFB, NC.
7. January 2003 – December 2003, Student, USAF Test Pilot School, Edwards AFB, CA.
8. January 2004 – June 2006, F-22 Test Pilot, Assistant Operations Officer and Air Force Material Command’s F-22 Chief Pilot, 411th Flight Test Squadron, F-22 Combined Test Force, Edwards AFB, CA.
9. July 2006 – June 2007, Student, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, AL.
10. July 2007 – June 2008, Student, School of Advanced Air and Space Studies, Maxwell AFB, AL.
11. July 2008 – June 2009, Operations Officer, 411th Flight Test Squadron, F-22 Combined Test Force, Edwards AFB, CA.
12. July 2009 – June 2011, Commander, 411th Flight Test Squadron and Director, F-22 Combined Test Force, Edwards AFB, CA.
13. July 2011 – August 2012, Student, Industrial College of the Armed Forces, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, DC.
14. September 2012 – July 2014, Commander, 53d Test Management Group, Eglin AFB, FL.
15. July 2014 – June 2016, Deputy Director, Department of Defense Special Access Program Central Office, Pentagon, Washington, DC.
16. July 2016 – present, Commander, 11th Wing, Joint Base Andrews, MD.
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
1. July 2014 – June 2016, Deputy Director, Department of Defense Special Access Program Central Office, Pentagon, Washington, DC, as a colonel.
Rating: Command Pilot
Flight Hours: More than 2,000
Aircraft Flown: 36 different aircraft types including the F-22, F-15E, F-16, and UH-1N
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Superior Service Medal
Legion of Merit
Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Aerial Achievement Medal with six oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal
Kosovo Campaign Medal
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 28, 1994
First Lieutenant June 1, 1996
Captain June 1, 1998
Major Nov 1, 2004
Lieutenant Colonel June 1, 2008
Colonel July 1, 2012
(Current as of June 2017)