Colonel Tyler R. Schaff is the commander of the 316th Wing and installation commander for Joint Base Andrews-Naval Air Facility Washington, Maryland. As the host wing for Joint Base Andrews, the 316th Wing provides security, personnel, contracting, finance, medical and infrastructure support for five wings, three headquarters, and over 80 tenant organizations, as well as 60,000 Airmen and families in the National Capital Region and around the world. Additionally, the 316th Wing supports contingency operations in our nation’s capital with immediate response rotary assets. It also provides security for the world’s highest visibility flight line and is responsible for operations of the Air Force Memorial and the Air Force Arlington Chaplaincy.
Prior to this assignment, Colonel Schaff was the commander of the 436th Mission Support Group, Dover Air Force Base, Delaware. In this role, he provided complete combat support, emergency services, and the base infrastructure for over 7,200 personnel supporting the C-5 and C-17 aircraft assigned to the 436th and 512th Airlift Wings as well as the largest aerial port and only stateside mortuary in the Department of Defense
Colonel Schaff was a student at the Eisenhower School at National Defense University, where he received a Master of Science Degree in National Resource Strategy. He commanded the Force Support Squadron at Aviano Air Base, Italy and has performed in a variety of staff level jobs, to include performing duties as the Executive Officer for the Director, Legislative Liaison, Office of the Secretary of the Air Force, an Assistant Director for Joint Officer Management in the Office of the Secretary of Defense, a Branch Chief for Base Support Officer Assignments at the Air Force Personnel Center, and a Personnel Inspector for the AMC Inspector General Team.
Colonel Schaff started his Air Force career as a Medical Material Apprentice at Wilford Hall Medical Center, serving as an enlisted airman for 4 years. He received his commission from the Reserve Officer Training Commission program at Texas State University in San Marcos, Texas.
1997 Bachelor of Science in Applied Arts and Science, Texas State University, San Marcos, Texas
2000 Masters of Business Administration, William Carey College, Hattiesburg, Miss.
2003 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
2004 Air Force Intern Program, Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
2007 Strategic Policy Intern, IDE Residence Credit
2007 Air Command and Staff College, Correspondence
2011 Air War College, Correspondence
2015 Master of Science Degree in National Resource Strategy, Eisenhower School, National Defense University, Washington, D.C.
1. February 1998 - May 1998, Deputy Chief, Social Actions, 81st Training Wing, Keesler AFB, Miss.
2. May 1998 - April 1999, Chief, Relocations and Employments, 81st Mission Support Squadron, Keesler AFB, Miss.
3. April 1999 - October 1999, Section Commander, 738 Engineering Installation Squadron, Keesler AFB, Miss.
4. October 1999 - July 2001, Section Commander, 37 Bomb Squadron, Ellsworth AFB, S.D.
5. July 2001 - April 2002, MPF Commander, 28 MSS, Ellsworth AFB, S.D.
6. April 2002 - August 2004, Chief, Personnel Inspections, Headquarters Air Mobility Command/Office of the Inspector General, Scott AFB, Ill.
7. August 2004 - June 2005, Student, AF Intern with duties in Office of the Secretary of Defense Personnel and Readiness (Military Personnel Policy) and Secretary of the Air Force/Manpower and Reserve, HQ USAF, Pentagon, Washington, D.C
8. June 2005 - March 2007, Military Personnel Flight Commander, 89 MSS, and then 316 MSS, Andrews AFB, MD.
9. March 2007 - April 2008, Branch Chief, AF Legislative Fellows, Legislative Liaison, Office of the Secretary of the Air Force, Washington, D.C.
10. April 2008 - May 2009, Executive Officer to the Director, Legislative Liaison, Office of the Secretary of the Air Force, Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
11. May 2009 - May 2010, Director of Training, United States Military Training Mission, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
12. May 2010 - May 2011, Chief, Force Support Officer Assignments, Air Force Personnel Center, Randolph AFB, Texas
13. May 2011 - June 2012, Branch Chief, Base Support Officer Assignments, AFPC, Randolph AFB, Texas
14. June 2012 - July 2014, Commander, Force Support Squadron, Aviano Air Base, Italy
15. July 2014 - June 2015, Student, Eisenhower School, National Defense University, Washington, D.C.
16. June 2015 - July 2018, Assistant Director, Joint Officer Management, Office of the Secretary of Defense, Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
17. July 2018 - June 2020, Commander, 436th Mission Support Group, Dover AFB, Del.
18. June 2020 - Present, Commander, 316th Wing, Joint Base Andrews-Naval Air Facility Washington, Md.
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
1. May 2009 - May 2010, Director of Training, United States Military Training Mission, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
2. June 2015 - July 2018, Assistant Director, Joint Officer Management, Office of the Secretary of Defense, Pentagon, Washington, DC
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit Medal
Defense Meritorious Service Medal (with oak leaf cluster)
Meritorious Service Medal (with four oak leaf clusters)
Air Force Commendation Medal (with two oak leaf clusters)
Joint Service Achievement Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal (with oak leaf cluster)
Air Force Good Conduct Medal
National Defense Service Medal with star
Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal
Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Nuclear Deterrence Operations Service Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant January 18, 1998
First Lieutenant January 18, 2000
Captain January 18, 2002
Major August 1, 2007
Lieutenant Colonel December 1, 2011
Colonel March 1, 2018
(Current as of April 2020)