Chief Master Sergeant Jackson A. Helzer is the Command Chief of the 316th Wing at Joint Base Andrews-Naval Air Facility Washington, Maryland. In this role, he advises the commander on all enlisted force matters and on issues regarding the welfare, readiness, utilization, morale and quality of life for personnel across five wings, three headquarters, more than 80 tenant organizations, as well as 60,000 Airmen and families in the National Capital Region and around the world. The 316th Wing supports contingency operations in our nation's Capital with immediate response rotary-assets. It also provides security for the world's highest visibility flight line and is responsible for operations of the Air Force Memorial and Air Force Arlington Chaplaincy.
Chief Helzer entered the Air Force in July 1995. He graduated from the F-16 Avionics Course at Sheppard Air Force Base, Texas, in February 1996. In April of 2000 he retrained into the Information Management career field. His background includes various duties in Knowledge Operations at the unit, wing and major-command levels. His stateside assignments include bases in California, Nevada and Colorado. Chief Helzer has also served overseas in Germany, Italy and South Korea. He has deployed in support of Resolute Support Mission and Operations NORTHERN WATCH, SOUTHERN WATCH, ALLIED FORCE, and jointly in IRAQI FREEDOM. Prior to assuming his current position, Chief Helzer served as the Command Chief, Prince Sultan Air Base, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
2000 Airman Leadership School, Spangdahlem Air Base, Germany
2004 Associate of Applied Science in Information Resources Management, Community College of the Air Force
2004 Associate of Applied Science in Avionic Systems Technology, CCAF, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2005 Noncommissioned Officer Academy, Kirtland AFB, N.M.
2006 Bachelor of Science in Professional Aeronautics, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University
2009 U.S. Air Force Senior Noncommissioned Officer Academy, by correspondence
2009 Senior Enlisted Joint Professional Military Education Correspondence Course, National Defense University, by correspondence
2011 Professional Manager Certification, CCAF, by correspondence
2011 Airmanship 490 - Basic Free Fall Course, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colo.
2012 Senior Noncommissioned Officer Academy, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2019 Chief Leadership Course, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2019 Command Chief Master Sergeants Training Course, Joint Base Andrews, Md.
2020 Senior Enlisted Legal Orientation Requirements, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2020 Senior Enlisted Joint Professional Military Education II Correspondence Course, National Defense University
1. July 1995—September 1995, Student, Basic Military Training, Lackland Air Force Base, Texas
2. September 1995—February 1996, Student, F-16 Avionics Apprentice Course, Sheppard AFB, Texas
3. March 1996—March 2000, F-16 Avionics Journeyman, 22nd Fighter Squadron, Spangdahlem Air Base, Germany
4. March 2000—November 2002, Chief, Executive Services, 30th Comptroller Squadron, Vandenberg AFB, Calif.
5. December 2002—December 2003, NCOIC, Programs Office, 51st Aircraft Maintenance Squadron, Osan AB, Republic of Korea
6. December 2003—December 2007, U.S. Air Force Air Demonstration Squadron, Nellis AFB, Nev.
7. December 2007—June 2008, NCOIC, Knowledge Operations Flight, 21st Operations Group, Peterson AFB, Colo.
8. June 2008—December 2009, Superintendent, Director of Staff, 21st Space Wing, Peterson AFB, Colo.
9. January 2009—September 2009, NCOIC, Mobile Redistribution Team 1, Task Force 586, Iraq
10. October 2009—December 2010, Superintendent, Directorate of Requirements Knowledge Operations, Headquarters Air Force Space Command, Peterson AFB, Colo.
11. December 2010—October 2011, Academy Military Trainer, Cadet Squadron 36, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colo.
12. October 2011—October 2012, Superintendent, Cadet Wing Training Support, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colo.
13. October 2012—August 2013, Superintendent, Cadet Group Four, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colo.
14. August 2013—August 2014, Wing Superintendent, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colo.
15. August 2014—April 2015, Superintendent, Cadet Wing Training, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colo.
16. April 2015—May 2016, Chief Enlisted Manager, 460th Space Communications Squadron, Buckley AFB, Colo.
17. May 2016—January 2018, Superintendent, 460th Mission Support Group, Buckley AFB, Colo.
18. January 2018—July 2020, Superintendent, 31st Mission Support Group, Aviano AB, Italy
19. July 2020—June 2021, Superintendent, 48th Mission Support Group, Royal Air Force Lakenheath, U.K.
20. June 2021—May 2022, Command Chief, 378th Air Expeditionary Wing, Prince Sultan AB, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
21. July 2022—Present Command Chief, 316th Wing, Joint Base Andrews, Maryland
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit
Air Force Meritorious Service Medal with five oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Achievement Medal with two oak leaf clusters
1998 22nd Fighter Squadron Maintenance Professional of the Year
2005 U.S. Air Force Thunderbirds NCO of the Year
2007 57th Wing Communications and Information NCO of the Year
2009 732nd Air Expeditionary Group SNCO of the Quarter
2010 Air Force Space Command Lance P. Sijan Nominee
EFFECTIVE DATE OF PROMOTION
Chief Master Sergeant December 1, 2014
(Current as of August 2022)