An official website of the United States government
Here's how you know
A .mil website belongs to an official U.S. Department of Defense organization in the United States.
A lock (lock ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .mil website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

Joint Base Andrews News

NEWS | Sept. 18, 2012

One vote can make a difference

By Andrews Installation Voting Office

· In 1649, one vote caused King Charles of England to be executed
· In 1839, one vote elected Marcus Morton governor of Massachusetts
· In 1845, one vote brought Texas into the Union
· In 1868, one vote saved President Andrew Johnson from impeachment
· In 1923, one vote gave Adolf Hitler leadership of the Nazi Party
· In 1942, one vote save the Selective Service - just weeks before Pearl Harbor was attacked

This election season, exercise your right to vote. It's a freedom you defend, even if you are away from your home state. Military spouses and dependants of voting age can vote absentee also. Help is available to assist you with the absentee voting process.

The installation voting office on Joint Base Andrews is located in the Base Library, Building 1642, on the corner of Brookley Ave and D Street. It is open Mon. from 9 a.m. - 8 p.m., Tues., Wed., Fri. and Sat. from 9 a.m. - 6 p.m. and Thurs. from 11 a.m. - 8 p.m. There is someone available to assist you at all times, and they are there to help all military members, spouses, dependants and civilians.

In addition to the installation voting office, Andrews personnel have several avenues of assistance if you have questions. Every unit has a unit voting assistance counselor who can help you and your dependants. Personnel may also contact the Andrews Installation Voting Assistance Office, at 301-981-VOTE (8683), e-mail or visit the website.

Step 1: Register and Request Your Absentee Ballot
You must register and request an absentee ballot in your State of legal residence by completing a Federal Post Card Application (FPCA) according to your State or territory's specific instructions and submitting it to your local election office. Visit or contact your Unit Voting Assistance Officer for assistance.

Step 2: Your Election Official Processes Your FPCA and Sends You a Blank Ballot
Your local election official will process your FPCA to determine if you meet the jurisdiction's residency requirements and may decide which ballot to send you. Your local election official will contact you if there are any questions or if your application has been denied. Therefore, it is important to provide your complete contact information on your FPCA.

Step 3: Vote Your State Ballot or Use the Back-Up Federal Write-In Absentee Ballot (FWAB) If You Have Not Received Your Ballot by 1 Oct
Vote and return your State ballot as soon as you receive it. If you have registered and requested your ballot by your State's request deadline (or at least 30 days before the election, whichever is later), you may use the FWAB any time before the election. A FWAB is a backup ballot that can be used if you requested your State ballot but did not receive in time to vote. Visit or contact your Unit Voting Assistance Officer for assistance.