Voter Assistance Office

The Joint Base Andrews Installation Voter Assistance Office is here to help members and their families fulfill their civic duty to choose their leaders.

Mon, Tue, Wed, Fri 7:30a.m. - 4:30p.m.
Thu 7:30a.m. - 12:00p.m.

Closed Weekends, Federal Holidays and Family Days
301-981-VOTE (8683)

Email address:

Absentee Voting

Send your vote homeSend your vote home
Click to enlarge

Determining Voting Residency

To vote in U.S. elections, citizens must have a legal voting residence address in a State or territory. The issue of voting residence can be complex, depending on individual circumstances. Even in States where laws clearly define criteria for determining voting residence, the final determination is generally up to each local election office.
For voting purposes, "legal voting residence" can be the state or territory where the citizen last resided prior to entering military service OR the state or territory that the citizen has since claimed as their legal residence. Even though the citizen may no longer maintain formal ties to that residence, the address determines their proper voting jurisdiction.

To claim a new legal residence, the citizen must have simultaneous physical presence and the intent to return to that location as their primary residence. Military and their family members may change their legal residence every time they change permanent duty stations, or they may retain their legal residence without change.

This may mean that the family's Uniformed Service member has a different legal voting residence than his/her family members. A JAG officer or legal counsel should be consulted before the citizen changes legal residence, because there are usually other factors that should be considered besides voting.

The following questions may help determine voting residence:
  • Where have you registered to vote or voted?
  • What State or territory has issued you a driver's license, any other license or identification card?
  • Where is your motor vehicle registered?
  • Where is your home or home of record?
  • What State or territory are you from?
  • Where did you live before coming here?
  • Where does your family live?
  • Where do your parents live?
  • Where do you own property?
  • What State do you claim for tax residency?
The Installation Voter Assistance Office can help you fill in and mail off your voting materials if you need the assistance. For more information, you can also contact your Unit Voting Assistance Counselor in your squadron for assistance.

More information at

Video Links

Videos can be found here.

Informational Videos:

Voting Information for Others

Vote while deployed


Your Joint Base Andrews Installation Voter Assistance Office is here to help you exercise the very right you protect—your right to vote! We can help you register to vote, request an absentee ballot and notify your local election officials back home of a change of address. The information below is provided for you as you get ready to transition and are thinking of what you must do before and after you make that change in assignment, deploy or separate/retire.


Federal Post Card Application (FPCA): The FPCA can be used to register to vote while simultaneously requesting an absentee ballot. It can also be used to submit a change of address to your local election officials. You can now go online to and use the FPCA Wizard that will help you register, request your absentee ballot and/or change your address while providing you with all of your state-specific information and requirements to vote!

Federal Write-In Absentee Ballot (FWAB): The FWAB can be used as a backup in case you have already registered to vote or sent in an FPCA to both register and request your absentee ballot, but you have not yet received your absentee ballot from your State. Like the FPCA, you can go online to fill in the FWAB at and use the FWAB Wizard that will help you to vote in Federal elections, even filling in your candidate choices based on your State of residence!

Both the FPCA and FWAB Wizards will provide you with a filled in form. All you have to do is print, sign and date it, and return it to your election official via the directions provided (some states allow you to fax, and/or e-mail your signed form if you convert it to a PDF and scan it to your computer).

 National Mail Voter Registration Form (NVRF): If you are separating/retiring, you’ll need to advise your local election official (LEO) that you will no longer be considered a military voter. The NVRF (or your state voter registration form) can then be used to notify your LEO of your address change.

Installation Voter Assistance (IVA) Office: The IVA Office can help you fill in and mail your voting materials if you need the assistance. Please contact your Voting Assistance Officers (VAOs) at:

 Joint Base Andrews Military & Family Support Center:

1191 Menoher Dr.

 301-981- VOTE (8683)

Email address:

Opening Hours: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday: 0730-1630

                           Thursday: 0730-1200

 Closed on Holidays and AFDW Family Days

Embassy personnel: Please contact the Department of State Voting Assistance Officer at your embassy (may vary, but typically in the Consular Section) for voting information and support. 

Air Force Total Force Service Center (TFSC): In the event you are unable to contact your IVA Office, 24-hour voting assistance is available from the AF TFSC at: DSN 665-0102, Commercial 210-565-0102 or Toll Free 1-800-525-0102.

Federal Voting Assistance Program (FVAP):

You may access many voting-related questions and answers on the FVAP website at